International identifier ORCID and its role in the global scholarly communication
Keywords:international register of scientists, ORCID identifier, scientometric databases
The article is a review that in the initial part presents main data about the project named ORCID. Open Researcher and Contributor ID which is full name of the project aims to solve the name ambiguity problem in research and scholarly communications by creating a central registry of unique identifiers for individual researchers and an open and transparent linking mechanism between ORCID and other current researcher ID schemes. These identifiers, and the relationships among them, can be linked to the researcher’s output to enhance the scientific discovery process and to improve the efficiency of research funding and collaboration within the research community.
ORCID project involved researchers, universities, national laboratories, commercial research organizations, publishers, national scientific agencies, scientometric databases, repositories, and international professional associations.
ORCID accounting system provides researchers two main features: a unique identifier to obtain and monitor the results of research; using an application programming interface for transferring data between different accounting systems, and attribution of scientific papers in each of them.
Author of the paper describes in details the process of registration in ORCID which consists in filling out serial forms. ORCID provides a persistent digital identifier that distinguishes one researcher from every other researcher and, through integration in key research workflows such as manuscript and grant submission, supports automated linkages between researcher and professional activities ensuring that researcher’s work is recognized.
To ensure the connection between the name of the scientist and the results of his scientific activity ORCID ID information should be added while sending manuscript for publication, applying for grants and other research processes, introduce it to the various search browsers, scientometric databases and social networks. This will help to improve scientific international relationships, increase the representation of Ukrainian research work results in the global scholarly communication.
- Dedik, P.E. “Transformations in modern science and the development of library services to support researches.” Scientific Periodicals: Problems and Solutions 4.16 (2013): 28–35.
- Kolesnikova, T.A. “Integration Ukrainian branch of scientific periodicals in the world of scientific and information space: problems and solutions.” Science and Progress of Transports. Bulletin of Dnipropetrovsk National University of Railway Transport 6.48 (2013): 7–22.
- Kostenko, L.I., Zhabin, A.I., Kukharchuk, E.A., Simonenko, T.V. “Picture of science in bibliometric portraits of scientists.” Library of the National Academies of Sciences: functioning problems 12 (2014): 70–8.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Р. В. Марушко
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.