Clinical results of long-term use of selective progesterone receptor modulators and gonadotropin releasing hormone agonists in the treatment of uterine leiomyoma
Keywords:uterine leiomyoma, gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists, progesterone receptor selective modulators, ulipristal acetate
The study was performed to assess the effectiveness of drug treatment of uterine leiomyoma in premenopausal women using progesterone receptor modulator ulipristal acetate (UPA ) in comparison with gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists (aGnRH). The I group consisted of 30 women with uterine leiomyoma who received aGnRH in extended course plus hormone replacement medication. Group II included 15 women receiving periodic treatments with UPA . The control group included 30 healthy women of late reproductive age. Median follow-up for women was 18 months. The results showed that the UPA provides a longer lasting effect after the end of therapy, unlike aGnRH, leading to the elimination of the uterine leiomyoma symptoms in 86.7% of women
- Medvedev, M.V. “Uterine leiomyoma: new approaches to the use of organsaving technology in the treatment.” Medical Perspectivеs, 3(17) (2012): 83–87.
- Astakhov, V.M. “Non-hormonal therapy is pathogenically substantiated for uterine fibroids.” Women Health, 3(59) (2011): 35–38.
- Kareva, E.N. “Mifepristone and uterine fibroids.” Farmateka, 14(2010): 18–30.
- Simrok, V.V., Chernykh Y.A. “Differentiated approaches to laparotomic hysterectomy in the treatment of benign uterine pathology.” Proceedings of the Crimean State Medical University named after SI Georgievskiy, 4(144) (2008): 295.
- Steinauer, J., Pritts, E.A., Jacksonet, R., et al. “Systematic review of mifepristone for the treatment of uterine leiomyomata.” Obstet Gynecol, 6(103) (2004): 1331–1336.
- T alaulikar, V.S., Manyonda, I. “Ulipristal acetate for use in moderate to severe symptoms of uterine fibroids.” Womens Health (Lond Engl), 6(10) (2014): 565-570.
- P erez-Lopez, F.R. “Ulipristal acetate in the management of symptomatic uterine fibroids: facts and pending issues.” Climacteric, (2014): 1–5.
- Galliano, D. “Ulipristal acetate in uterine fibroids.” Fertil Steril online [http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2014.11.028] Last accessed March 2, 2015.
- D onnez, J., Vazquez, F., Tomaszewski, J., et al. “Long-term treatment of uterine fibroids with ulipristal acetate.” Fertil Steril, 6(101) (2014): 1565–1573.
- Spies, J.B., Coyne, K., Guaou, N.G., Boyle, D., et al. “The UFS-QOL, a New Disease-Specific Symptom and Health- Related Quality of Life Questionnaire for Leiomyomata.” Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2(99) (2002): 290–300.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 М. В. Медведев
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.