New era in treatment of uterine fibroids in women of different age groups
Keywords:uterine fibroids, selective progesterone receptor modulators, ulipristal acetate
Despite the high level of development of modern surgery and pharmacology, none of surgical procedures (hysterectomy/myomectomy or uterine artery embolization) or the drug does not guarantee the absence of recurrence of uterine fibroids in the future. However, there are quite effective methods of pharmacotherapy its manifestations. In particular, selective progesterone receptor modulators show high effectiveness against the symptoms of fibroids and sizes nodes, which allows us to consider them as a full fledged alternative to surgical treatment of uterine fibroids.
The results of PEARL-I, -II, -III studies show that the use of such a selective progesterone receptor modulator as ulipristal acetate in treating symptomatic uterine fibroids is safe and well tolerated, leading to rapid cupping uterine bleeding nodes, greatly reduces the size and the therapeutic effect is maintained even after therapy discontinuation.
- Baird, D., Dunson, D.B., Hill, M.C., Cousins, D., Schectman, J.M. “High cumulative incidence of uterine leiomyoma in black and white women:ultrasound evidence.” Am J Obstet Gynecol,
- (2003): 10.
- Uterine Myoma, Myomectomy and Minimally Invasive Treatments (2015). DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-10305-1.
- Kroon, B., Johnson, N., Chapman, M., Yazdani, A., Hart, R. “Fibroids in infertility-consensus statement from ACCEPT (Australasian CREI Consensus Expert Panel on Trial evidence). Australasian CREI Consensus Expert Panel on Trial evidence (ACCEPT ) group.” The Australian & New Zealand journal of obstetrics & gynaecology, 51(4) (2011): 289-95. Aug.
- Cook, H., Ezzati, M., Segars, J.H., McCarthy, K. “The impact of uterine leiomyomas on reproductive outcomes.” Minerva Ginecologica, 62(3) (2010): 225-236
- Shannon K. Laughlin, Jane C. Schroeder, Donna Day Baird “New Directions in the Epidemiology of Uterine Fibroids.” Seminars in Reproductive Medicine, 03(2010): 204-217. DOI: 10.1055/s-0030-1251477.
- Hauptmann, S., Köhler, G. “Etiology, Pathogenesis, and Malignant Potential of Uterine Leiomyoma – A Review.” Curr Obstet Gynecol Rep, 3(2014): 186-190.
- Tropeano, G., Amoroso, S., Scambia, G. “Non-surgical management of uterine fibroids.” Human Reproduction Update, 3(2008):14: 259–274.
- Stovall, Dale, W. “Alternatives to hysterectomy: focus on global endometrial ablation, uterine fibroid embolization, and magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound.” Menopause, 4(18) (2011):443-450.
- Cossey, N.V. «Uterus leyomіoma (clinic, pathogenesis, diagnostics and treatment)». Аuthor’s dissertation for the MD degree: on a specialty. К. 14.01.01 (2009): 36.
- Tatarchuk, T.F., Cossey, N.V. «Modern principles of treatment of uterine leiomyoma». Health of Ukraine. Thematic Issue (2012): 10-13.
- Radosa, M.P., Owsianowski, Z., Mothes, A. “Long-term risk of fibroid recurrence after laparoscopic myomectomy.” European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, 180(2014): 35-39.
- Fauconnier1, A., Chapron, Ch. “Recurrence of leiomyomata after myomectomy.” Hum. Reprod. Update, 6(6) (2000): 595-602.
- Eun-Hee Yoo., Paul I. Lee “Predictors of leiomyoma recurrence after laparoscopic myomectomy.” Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, 6(14) (2007): 690-697.
- Campo, S., Camp, V., Gambadauro, P. “Reproductive outcomes before and after laparoscopic or abdominal myomectomy for subserous or intramural myomas.” Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol, 110(2003): 215-219.
- Dubuisson, J.B., Fauconnier, A., Deffarges, J.V., Norgaard, C., Kreiker, G., Chapron, C. “Pregnancy outcome and deliveries following laparoscopic myomectomy.” Hum Reprod, 15(2000): 869-873.
- Kumakiri, J., Tekeuchi, H., Kitade, M., Kikuchi, I., Shimanuki, H., Itoh, S., Kinoshita, K. “Pregnancy and delivery after laparoscopic myomectomy.” J Minim Invasive Gynecol, 12(2005):241-246.
- Metwally, M., Farquhar, C.M., Li, T.C. “Is another meta-analysis on the effects of intramural fibroids on reproductive outcomes needed?” Reprod Biomed Online, 23(2011): 2-14.
- Segars, J.H., Parrott, E.C., Nagel, J.D., Guo, X.C., Gao, X., Birnbaum, L.S., et al. “Proceedings from the Third National Institutes of Health International Congress on Advances in Uterine Leiomyoma Research: comprehensive review, conference summary and future recommendations.” Hum Reprod Update, 20(2014): 309-33.
- Dickson, E., Skinner, B.D. “Hysteroscopic Myomectomy: Patient Selection, Preoperative Workup and Surgical Tips and Tricks.” Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, 20 (6) (Suppl) (2013): S99.
- Camanni, M., Luca Bonino “Hysteroscopic Management of Large Symptomatic Submucous Uterine Myomas.” Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, 17(1) (2010): 59-65.
- Di Spiezio Sardo, A., Bettocchi, S., Spinelli, M., Guida, M., Nappi, L., Angioni, S., et al. “Review of new office-based hysteroscopic procedures 2003–2009.” J Minim Invasive Gynecol, 17(2010): 436-48.
- Tatarchuk, T., Kosey, N., Tutchenko, T.,Vasilchenko, L. “Uterine arteries embolization as a pretreatment before hysteroscopic myomectomy of large submucouse fibroids.” Gynecological Surgery, 8(Suppl) (2011): S161.
- Tropeano, G., Di Stasi, Carmine, Amoroso, S., Vizzielli, G., Mascilini, F., Scambia, G. “Incidence and Risk Factors for Clinical Failure of Uterine Leiomyoma Embolization.” Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2(120) (2012): 269-276.
- Gabriel-Cox, K., Jacobson, G.F., Armstrong, M., Hung, Y., Learman, L. “Predictors of hysterectomy after uterine artery embolization for leiomyoma.” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 6(196) (2007): 588-588.
- Tropeano, G., Di Stasi, C., Amoroso, S., Gualano, M., Bonomo, L., Scambia, G. “Long-term effects of uterine fibroid embolization on ovarian reserve: a prospective cohort study.” Fertility and Sterility, 6(94) (2010): 2296-2300.
- Mohan, P., Hamblin, M., Vogelzang, R. “Uterine Artery Embolization and Its Effect on Fertility.” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 7(24) (2013): 925-930.
- Dariushnia, S., Nikolic, B., Stokes, L., Spies, J. “Quality Improvement Guidelines for Uterine Artery Embolization for Symptomatic Leiomyomata.” J Vasc Interv Radiol, 25(2014): 1737-1747.
- Nisolle, M., Gillerot, S., Casanas-Roux, F., Squifflet, J.,Berliere, M., Donnez, J. “Immunohistochemical study of the proliferation index, oestrogen receptors and progesterone receptors A and B in leiomyomata and normal myometrium during the menstrual cycle and under gonadotrophin-releasing hormone agonist therapy.” Hum Reprod, 14(1999): 2844-50.
- Lethaby, A., Vollenhoven, B., Sowter, M. “Preoperative GnRH analogue therapy before hysterectomy or myomectomy for uterine fibroids.” Cochrane Database Syst Rev (2001): CD000547.
- Shaw, R.W. “Gonadotrophin hormonereleasing hormone analogue treatment of fibroids Bailliere’s.” Clin Obstet Gynaecol, 12(1998): 245-68.
- Hornstein, M.D., Surrey, E.S., Weisberg, G.W., Casino, L.A. “Leuprolide acetate depot and hormonal addback in endometriosis: a 12-month study.” Lupron Add-Back Study Group. Obstet Gynecol, 91(1998): 16-24.
- Sayed, G.H., Zakhera, M.S., El-Nashar, S.A., Shaaban, M.M. “A randomized clinical trial of a levonorgestrelreleasing intrauterine system and a low-dose combined oral contraceptive for fibroid-related menorrhagia.” Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 112(2011): 126-30.
- Zapata, L.B., Whiteman, M.K., Tepper, N.K., Jamieson, D.J., Marchbanks, P.A., Curtis, K.M. “Intrauterine deviceuse among women with uterine fibroids: a systematic review.” Contraception, 82(2010): 41-55.
- Donnez, J., Tatarchuk, T.F., Bouchard, P., Puscasiu, L., Zakharenko, N.F., Ivanova, T., et al. “PEARL-I Study Group. Ulipristal acetate versus placebo for fibroid treatment before surgery.” N Engl J Med, 366(2012): 409-20.
- Donnez, J., Tomaszewski, J., Vazquez, F., Bouchard, P., Lemieszczuk, B., Baro, F., et al. “PEARL-II Study Group. Ulipristal acetate versus leuprolide acetate for uterine fibroids.” N Engl J Med, 366(2012): 421-32.
- Donnez, J., Vazquez, F., Tomaszewski, J., Nouri, K., Bouchard, P., Fauser, B.C., et al. “For the PEARL-III and PEARL-III Extension Study Group. Longterm treatment of uterine fibroids with ulipristal acetate.” Fertil Steril, 101(2014): 1565-73.e18.
- Donnez, J., Donnez, O., Dolmans, M. “With the advent of selective progesterone receptor modulators,what is the place of myoma surgery in current practice?” Fertility and Sterility, 102(3) (2014): 640-648.
- Donnez, J., Williams, А. SOGC Annual Clinical and Scientific Conference (2014).
- Fernández-Montolí, M.E., Díez-Gibert, O., Samaniego, J.M., Balagueró, L., Navarro, M.A. “Total and unbound cytosolic estrogen and progesterone receptors in myometrium and fibroid after gonadotropinreleasing hormone agonist treatment.” Fertility and Sterility, 63(3) (1995):522-527.
- Parker, W. “Uterine myomas: management.” Fertility and Sterility, 88(2) (2007): 255-271. August.
- Spitz, I. “Clinical utility of progesterone receptor modulators and their effect on the endometrium.” Current Opinion in Obstetrics & Gynecology, 21(4) (2009):318-324.
- Julie Kim, J., Sefton, E. “The role of progesterone signaling in the pathogenesis of uterine leiomyoma.” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 358(2) (2012):223-231.
- Marsh, S. Bulun Steroid Hormones and Leiomyomas. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America, 33(1) (2006): 59-67.
- Wei, T., Geiser, A., Qian, H., Su, C., Helvering, L., Kulkarini, N., Shou, J., N’Cho, M., et al. “DNA microarray data integration by ortholog gene analysis reveals potential molecular mechanisms of estrogendependent growth of human uterine fibroids.” BMC Women’s Health, 7(2007):5. doi:10.1186/1472-6874-7-5
- Spitz, I.M. “Progesterone antagonists and progesterone receptor modulators: an overview.” Steroids, 68(2003): 981-93.
- Bouchard, P., Chabbert-Buffet, N., Fauser, B. “Selective progesterone receptor modulators in reproductive medicine: pharmacology, clinical efficacy and safety.” Fertility and Sterility, 96(2011): 5:1175-1189.
- Nosenko, E.N., Skidanov, E.A. «Progesterone and uterine leiomyoma». Medical and social problems of the family, 18 (3) (2013): 105-110.
- Rabe, T., Ahrendt, H.-J., Albring, C., Bitzer, J., Bouchard, P., Cirkel, U., Egarter, C., König, K., Harlfinger, W., Matzko, M., et al. “Ulipristal Acetate for Symptomatic Uterine Fibroids and Myoma- Related Hypermenorrhea Joint Statement by the German Society for Gynecological Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine (DGGEF) and the German Professional Association of Gynecologists (BVF).” J Reproduktions med Endokrinol, 9(2) (2012): 106-26.
- Mutter, G., Bergeron, C., Deligdisch, L., Ferenczy, A., Glant, M., Merino, M., Williams, A., Blithe, D. “The spectrum of endometrial pathology induced by progesterone receptor modulators.” Modern Pathology, 21(2008): 591-598.
- Munro, M.G., Critchley, H.O., Broder, M.S., Fraser, I.S. “FIGO classification system (PA LM-COE IN) for causes of abnormal uterine bleeding in nongravid women of reproductive age. FIGO Working Group on Menstrual Disorders.” Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 113(2011):1-2.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Т. Ф Татарчук, Н. В. Косей, Т. Н. Тутченко, В. О. Джупин
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.