Exstrophy of bladder: verdict or the realities of life in patient of reproductive age?
Keywords:bladder exstrophy, malformation, vaginoplasty
Exstrophy of bladder is a rare congenital malformation of the bladder with the lack of its front wall and, consequently, the anterior abdominal wall, which is often accompanied by epispadias, inguinal hernia, prolapse of the rectum, anomalies of the upper urinary tract. Its exstrophy of bladder frequency ranges on average from 1:10 000 to 1:50 000 newborns, in boys 3-6 times more often than girls. Without surgical treatment half of children with this disorder do not live to the age of 10, and 75% die in age 15.
This article describes a clinical case of a patient M., 18 years old, who was admitted to the gynecological department number 1 of the Donetsk Regional center for maternal and child health for forming of vagina. The patient had a congenital malformation of the genitourinary system in the form of bladder exstrophy, at age 2 and 5 she had reconstructing operations to form the front abdominal wall of local fabrics, made at age 7 reconstruction of bladder neck has not led to a controlled urinate. Internal genital organs with no pathology except atresia of the vagina. After careful examination, using modern laboratory, instrumental and apparatus research methods patient M. was performed laparotomy in a volume: old postoperative scar excision; formation of rectal bladder, ureterorectostomia and bringing down the sigmoid colon by Duhamel; vaginoplasty.
Surveillance for 75 days after the operation showed the following results: control urination and defecation, lack of urine leakage from the anterior abdominal wall and the presence of formed vagina, improving the quality of life and patient’s reproductive plans.
This considered a clinical case illustrates the high efficiency of treatment of bladder exstrophy with individual methodological approach to the selection of an adequate surgical tactics.
- Averin, V.I. «Treatment of bladder exstrophy in newborns.» Advances in clinical and experimental medicine. Abstracts, 12(2003): 111 p.
- Ашкрафт К.У., Холдер Т.М. Детская хирургия // С-Пб.: ООО «Раритет-М». – 1999. – С. 11–27. Ashcraft K.W., Holder T.M. «Pediatric Surgery.» Saint-Petersburg. LLC «Raritу-M» (1999):11-27.
- Gastol P., Baka-Jakubiak M., Skobejko-Wlodarska L., Szymkiewicz C. «Complete duplication of the bladder, urethra, vagina, and uterus in girls.» Urology, 55(4)(2000):578-581.
- Shah K.R., Joshi A. «Complete genitourinary and colonic duplication: a rare presentation in an adult patient.» J Ultrasound Med, 25(3)(2006):407-411.
- Ebert A., Scheuering S., Schott G., Roesch W.H. «Psychosocial and psychosexual development in childhood and adolescence within the exstrophyeepispadias complex.» J Urol, 174(2005):1094-1099.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2014 В. К. Чайка, А. В. Борота, А. А. Железная, В. В. Гайдадым, Е. Ю. Мирошниченко
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.