Sarcopenia: literature review and results of own research
Keywords:sarcopenia, adipose tissue, lean mass index
AbstractSarcopenia is a geriatric syndrome that is often seen in elderly and senile patients. It reduces their physical abilities, affects the quality of life, increases the frequency of falls and consequently the risk of osteoporotic fractures.Lean mass index and such studies as CT, MRT and DXA are used for sarcopenia diagnostic (loss of muscle mass with age).Sarcopenia prevention and treatment are include exercise therapy, correction of nutrition and pharmacotherapy.
- Artur ST, Colley ID The effect of physiological stimuli on sarcopenia; impact of notch and Wnt signaling
- on impaired aged skeletal muscle repair // International Journal of biological sciences. – 2012. – 8 (5). – 731-760.
- Bonnik SL, Lewis LA Bone densitometry for technologists // Humana Press Inc. – 2006. – 416 p.
- Burton LA, Sumukadas D Optimal management of sarcopenia // Clinical interventions in aging. – 2010. – 5. – P. 217-228.
- Campbell WW, Leidy HJ Dietary protein and resistance training effects on muscle and body composition in older persons // Journal of the American College of Nutrition. – 2007. – 26 (6). – P. 696-703.
- Chen Z, Wang Z, Lohman T et al. Dual-Energy X-ray absorptiometry is a valid tool for assessing skeletal muscle mass in older women // The journal of nutrition. – 2007. – 2775-2780.
- Chumlea WmC, Cesari M, Evans WJ et al. Sarcopenia: designing phase II B trials // J Nutr Health aging. – 2011. – 15 (6). – P. 450-455.
- Cruz-Jentoft AJ, Baeyens JP, Bauer JM et al. Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis // Age and ageing. – 2010. – 39. – P. 412-423.
- Hall DT, Ma JF, Marco SD, Gallouzzi I Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) in muscle wasting syndrome, sarcopenia and cachexia // Aging. – 2011. – 3. – P. 8.
- Hong S, Oh HJ, Choi H et al. Characteristics of body fat, body fat percentage and other composition for Koreans from KNHANES IV – 2011. – 26. – Р. 1599-1605.
- Independent and combined effects of exercise and vitamin D on muscle morphology, function and falls in the elderly // Nutrients. – 2010. – 2. – Р. 1015-1017.
- Jang YC, Remmen HV Age-associated alterations of neuromuscular junction // Exp Geront. – 2011. – 46 (2-3). – P. 193-198.
- Lang T, Streeper T, Cawthon P et al. Sarcopenia: etiology, clinical consequences, intervention and assessment // Osteoporos Int. – 2010. – 21. – P. 543-559.
- Loeser RF Age-related changes in the musculoskeletal system and the development of osteoarthritis // Clin Geriatr Med. – 2010. – 26 (3). – P. 371-386.
- Mark DP, Sen A, Gordon PM Influence of Resistance on lean body mass in aging adults: a meta-analysis // Med Sci Sports Exerc. – 2011. – 43 (2). – P. 249-258.
- Marzetti E, Calvani R, Bernabei R, Leeuwenburgh C Apoptosis in skeletal myocytes: a potential target for interventions against sarcopenia and physical frilty – a mini-review // Gerontology. – 2012. – 58. – P. 99-106.
- Mayer F, Scharhag-Rosenberger F, Carlsohn A et al. The intensity and effects of strength training in the elderly // Dtsch Arztebl Int. – 2011. – 108 (21). – P. 359-64.
- Mitchell WK, Williams J, Atherton P et al. Sarcopenia, dynapenia and the impact of advancing age on human skeletal muscle size and strength; a quantitative review // Frontiers in physiology. – 2012. – 3. – P. 260.
- Neto LS, Karnikowiski MGO, Tavares AB, Lima RM association between sarcopenia, sarcopenic obesity, muscle strength and quality of life variables in elderly women // ISSN. – 2012. – Р. 1413-3555.
- Roberts HC, Denison H, Martin HJ et al. A review of the measurement of grip strength in clinical and epidemiological studies: towards a standardized approach // Age and ageing. – 2011. – 40. – P. 423-429.
- Park Y-W, Heymsfield SB, Gallagher D Are dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry regional estimates associated with visceral adipose tissue mass? – 2002. – 26. – Р. 978-983.
- Travison TG, Araujo AB, Esche GG et al. Lean Mass and Fat Mass is associated with male proximal femur strength // Journal of bone and mineral research. – 2008. – 23 (2). – P. 189-198.
- Waters DL, Baumgartner RN, Garry PJ, Vellas B Advantages of dietary, exercise-related and therapeutic interventions to prevent and treat sarcopenia in adult patients: an update // Clinical Interventions in aging – 2010. – 5. – P. 259-270.
- Povoroznyuk VV Diseases of the musculoskeletal system in people of all ages (selected lectures,
- reviews, articles). 3 Vols. – K., 2009. – Р. 664.
- Povoroznyuk VV, Grigorieva NV Menopause and musculoskeletal system. – K., 2004. – 512 р.
- Undritsov VM, Undritsova IM, Serova LD Sarcopenia as a new medical nosology // Physical training in prevention, treatment and rehabilitation. – 2009. – No. 4 (31). – P. 7-16.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2014 V. V. Povorozniuk, Н. И. Дзерович
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.