Uterine artery embolization
Keywords:uterine fibroids, uterine artery embolization, uterine-sparing technologies
Uterine fibroids (UF) is an extremely common benign tumor of the female reproductive system. This pathology is often associated with symptoms that significantly impair the quality of life of a woman and her working capacity, and can also affect the ability to conceive and gestation. Today, we have in the arsenal of operational, drug and minimally invasive methods of UF treatment. One of the most researched and at the same time rather controversial methods of UF treatment is uterine artery embolization (UAE).
Literary sources were reviewed using the MEDLINE, PubMed and Web of Science databases for the period 2011–2021. The data related to the history of the technique development, its implementation, indications and contraindications for UAE, its effect on the UF symptoms and on fertility were systematized and presented in this review.
UAE as an independent method for the treatment of benign uterine tumors has 20 years of experience in the world and in Ukraine. The indications for UAE are symptomatic UF: profuse and/or prolonged menstruation, dysmenorrhea, compression of the pelvic organs, dyspareunia, frequent urination or urinary retention. Absolute contraindications for UAE are genital tract infections, pregnancy, doubts about the diagnosis, as well as contraindications to the use of X-ray contrast agents.
The effectiveness of UAE is assessed by the manifestations of UF symptoms and by the degree of fibroids size reduction. The average node reduction in the diameter is 2.2 cm. The clinical efficacy index is 81–96, 70–100 and 46–100% respectively in the treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding, pelvic pain and symptoms of compression of adjacent organs. There is a decrease in the node volume by 25–60% within 3–6 months.
Conclusions. UAE today is an effective and safe minimally invasive operation, which is a worthy alternative to hysterectomy and expands the possibilities of organ-preserving technologies if there is UF.
- Holdsworth-Carson, S.J., Zaitseva, M., Vollenhoven, B.J., Rogers, P.A.W. “Clonality of smooth muscle and fibroblast cell populations isolated from human fibroid and myometrial tissues.” MHR: Basic science of reproductive medicine 20.3 (2013): 250–9.
- Szkodziak, P., Pyra, .K, Szkodziak, F., et al. “The Lublin Protocol of the uterine arteries embolization in the treatment of symptomatic uterine fibroids.” Journal of Visualized Experiments 163 (2020).
- Kosey, N.V., Zadorozhnaya, T.D., Zakharenko, N.F., et al. “Morphofunctional and immunohistochemical characteristics of different clinical-pathogenetic types of leyiomyoma.” Pathologia 3 (2017).
- Baird, D.D., Dunson, D.B., Hill, M.C., et al. “High cumulative incidence of uterine leiomyoma in black and white women: ultrasound evidence.” Am J Obstet Gynecol 188.1 (2003): 100–7.
- Antypkin, Y., Vdovychenko, Y., Graziottin, A., et al. “Uterine bleedings and quality of woman's life.” Reproductive Endocrinology 2019 [cited 2021 Aug 12]. Available from: [http://reproduct-endo.com/article/view/170081].
- Zimmermann, A., Bernuit, D., Gerlinger, C., et al. “Prevalence, symptoms and management of uterine fibroids: an international internet-based survey of 21,746 women.” BMC Womens Health 12.1 (2012): 6.
- Borah, B.J., Nicholson, W.K., Bradley, L., Stewart, E.A. “The impact of uterine leiomyomas: a national survey of affected women.” Am J Obstet Gynecol 209.4 (2013): 319.e1–20.
- Viswanathan, M., Hartmann, K., McKoy, N., et al. “Management of uterine fibroids: an update of the evidence. Evidence report/technology assessment.” U.S. National Library of Medicine [cited 2021 Aug 12]. Available from: [https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18288885/].
- Manyonda, I.T., Bratby, M., Horst, J.S., et al. “Uterine artery embolization versus myomectomy: impact on quality of life – results of the FUME (Fibroids of the Uterus: Myomectomy versus Embolization) Trial.” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology 35.3 (2011): 530–6.
- Davis, M.R., Soliman, A.M., Castelli-Haley, J., et al. “Reintervention rates after myomectomy, endometrial ablation, and uterine artery embolization for patients with uterine fibroids.” Journal of Women's Health 27.10 (2018): 1204–14.
- Sandberg, E.M., Tummers, F.H.M.P., Cohen, S.L., et al. “Reintervention risk and quality of life outcomes after uterine-sparing interventions for fibroids: a systematic review and meta-analysis.” Fertility and Sterility 109.4 (2018): 698–707.
- Saridogan, E. “Surgical treatment of fibroids in heavy menstrual bleeding.” Women's Health 12.1 (2016): 53–62.
- Falcone, T., Parker, W.H. “Surgical management of Leiomyomas for fertility or uterine preservation.” Obstetrics & Gynecology 121.4 (2013): 856–68.
- Gatti, M., Poluzzi, E., De Ponti, F., Raschi E. “Liver injury with Ulipristal Acetate: Exploring the Underlying Pharmacological Basis.” Drug Safety 43.12 (2020): 1277–85.
- Schlaff, W.D. “Introduction.” Fertility and Sterility 112.5 (2019): 773–4.
- Bradley, L.D., Marsh, E.E., Garner, E. “Linzagolix may address the long-term treatment needs of women with uterine fibroids who have contraindications to hormonal add-back therapy: results from two phase 3 randomized clinical trials.” Fertility and Sterility 114.3 (2020).
- Moradan, S. “Gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist plus aromatase inhibitor in the treatment of uterine leiomyoma in near menopause patient: a case series study.” Journal of Menopausal Medicine 24.1 (2018): 62.
- Lee, J.-S., Hong, G.-Y., Lee, K.-H., et al. “Safety and efficacy of Ultrasound-Guided High-Intensity focused Ultrasound treatment for Uterine fibroids and Adenomyosis.” Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology 45.12 (2019): 3214–21.
- Taheri, M., Galo, L., Potts, C., et al. “Nonresective treatments for uterine fibroids: a systematic review of uterine and fibroid volume reductions.” International Journal of Hyperthermia 36.1 (2019): 294–300.
- Tomislav, S., Josip, M., Liana, C.S., et al. “Uterine artery embolization as nonsurgical treatment of uterine myomas.” ISRN Obstetrics and Gynecology 2011 (2011): 1–4.
- Stępniak, A. “Uterine artery embolization in the treatment of symptomatic fibroids – state of the art 2018.” Menopausal Review 17.4 (2018): 141–3.
- Ochmanek, E., Brown, M.A., Rochon, P.J. “Fibroid expulsion after uterine artery embolization.” Seminars in Interventional Radiology 36.02 (2019): 126–32.
- Czuczwar, P., Stępniak, A., Wrona, W., et al. “The influence of uterine artery embolisation on ovarian reserve, fertility, and pregnancy outcomes – a review of literature.” Menopausal Review 4 (2016): 205–9.
- Bulman, J.C., Ascher, S.M., Spies, J.B. “Current concepts in uterine fibroid embolization.” RadioGraphics 32.6 (2012): 1735–50.
- van der Kooij, S.M., Ankum, W.M., Hehenkamp, W.J.K. “Review of nonsurgical/minimally invasive treatments for uterine fibroids.” Current Opinion in Obstetrics & Gynecology 24.6 (2012): 368–75.
- Toor, S.S., Jaberi, A., Macdonald, D.B., et al. “Complication rates and effectiveness of uterine artery embolization in the treatment of symptomatic leiomyomas: a systematic review and meta-analysis.” American Journal of Roentgenology 199.5 (2012): 1153–63.
- Jun, F., Yamin, L., Xinli, X., et al. “Uterine artery embolization versus surgery for symptomatic uterine fibroids: a randomized controlled trial and a meta-analysis of the literature.” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics 285.5 (2011): 1407–13.
- Narayan, A., Lee, A.S., Kuo, G.P., et al. “Uterine artery embolization versus abdominal myomectomy: a long-term clinical outcome comparison.” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 21.7 (2010): 1011–7.
- van der Kooij, S.M., Hehenkamp, W.J.K., Volkers, N.A., et al. “Uterine artery embolization vs hysterectomy in the treatment of symptomatic uterine fibroids: 5-year outcome from the randomized EMMY trial.” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 203.2 (2010).
- de Bruijn, A.M., Ankum, W.M., Reekers, J.A., et al. “Uterine artery embolization vs hysterectomy in the treatment of symptomatic uterine fibroids: 10-year outcomes from the randomized EMMY trial.” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 215.6 (2016).
- Rasuli, P., Sabri, A., Hammond, I., et al. “Outpatient uterine artery embolization for symptomatic fibroids: short- and long-term single institution-based outcomes.” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada 35.2 (2013): 156–63.
- Mara, M., Kubinova, K. “Embolization of uterine fibroids from the point of view of the gynecologist: pros and cons.” International Journal of Women's Health 2014: 623.
- Pérez-López, F.R., Ornat, L., Ceausu, I., et al. “EMAS position statement: management of uterine fibroids.” Maturitas 79.1 (2014): 106–16.
- Burbank, F. “History of uterine artery occlusion and subsequent pregnancy.” American Journal of Roentgenology 192.6 (2009): 1593–600.
- Sack, R.A. “Bilateral internal iliac (hypogastric) artery ligation to control obstetric and gynecologic hemorrhage.” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 116.4 (1973): 493–7.
- Brown, B.J., Heaston, D.K., Poulson, A.M., et al. “Uncontrollable postpartum bleeding: a new approach to hemostasis through angiographic arterial embolization.” Obstetrics and gynecology. U.S. National Library of Medicine 1979 [cited 2021 Aug 12]. Available from: [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/314075].
- Heaston, D.K., Mineau, D.E., Brown, B.J., Miller, F.J. “Transcatheter arterial embolization for control of persistent massive puerperal hemorrhage after bilateral surgical hypogastric artery ligation.” American Journal of Roentgenology 133.1 (1979): 152–4.
- Ravina, J.H., Ciraru-Vigneron, N., Bouret, J.M., et al. “Arterial embolisation to treat uterine myomata.” The Lancet 346.8976 (1995): 671–2.
- Uterine artery embolisation for fibroids: Guidance NICE. [cited 2021 Aug 12]. Available from: [https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG367].
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. “ACOG practice bulletin: alternatives to hysterectomy in the management of leiomyomas.” Obstetrics and gynecology. [cited 2021 Aug 12]. Available from: [https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18669742/].
- Clinical recommendations on the use of uterine artery. [cited 2021Aug12]. Available from: [https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/23-12-2013_rcog_rcr_uae.pdf].
- Carranza-Mamane, B., Havelock, J., Hemmings, R., et al. “The management of uterine fibroids in women with otherwise unexplained infertility.” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada 37.3 (2015): 277–85.
- Kröncke, T., David, M. “Uterine Artery Embolization for Fibroid Treatment – Results of the 7th Radiological Gynecological Expert Meeting.” Geburtshilfe und Frauenheilkunde 79.7 (2019): 688–92.
- Lohle, P.N.M., Higué, D., Herbreteau, D. “Uterine artery embolisation in women with symptomatic uterine fibroids.” La Presse Médicale 48.4 (2019): 440–6.
- Alyeshmerni, D., Banovac, F., Pehlivanova, M., et al. “Resolution of hydronephrosis after uterine artery embolization for fibroids.” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 22.6 (2011): 865–9.
- Tulandi, T., Salamah, K. “Fertility and uterine artery embolization.” Obstetrics & Gynecology 115.4 (2010): 857–60.
- Dariushnia, S.R., Nikolic, B., Stokes, L.A.S., Spies, J.B. “Quality improvement guidelines for uterine artery embolization for symptomatic leiomyomata.” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 25.11 (2014): 1737–47.
- Radeleff, B., Eiers, M., Bellemann, N., et al. “Expulsion of dominant submucosal fibroids after uterine artery embolization.” European Journal of Radiology 75.1 (2010).
- Stott, D., Zakaria, M. “The transcervical expulsion of a large fibroid.” BMJ Case Reports (2012).
- Tan, N., McClure, T.D., Tarnay, C., et al. “Women seeking second opinion for symptomatic uterine leiomyoma: role of comprehensive fibroid center.” Journal of Therapeutic Ultrasound 2.1 (2014): 3.
- Spies, J. “Current role of uterine artery embolization in the management of uterine fibroids.” Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology 59.1 (2016): 93–102.
- Spies, J., Kohi, M. “Updates on uterine artery embolization.” Seminars in Interventional Radiology 35.1 (2018): 48–55.
- Siddiqui, N., Nikolaidis, P., Hammond, N., Miller, F.H. “Uterine artery embolization: pre- and post-procedural evaluation using magnetic resonance imaging.” Abdominal Imaging 38.5 (2013): 1161–77.
- Deshmukh, S.P., Gonsalves, C.F., Guglielmo, F.F., Mitchell, D.G. “Role of MR imaging of uterine leiomyomas before and after embolization.” RadioGraphics 32.6 (2012).
- Mailli, L., Auyoung, E.Y., Angileri, S.A., et al. “Predicting the Fibroid-Migratory Impact of UAE: Role of Pre-embolization MRI Characteristics.” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology 43.3 (2019): 453–8.
- Rajan, D.K., Margau, R., Kroll, R.R., et al. “Clinical utility of ultrasound versus magnetic resonance imaging for deciding to proceed with uterine artery embolization for presumed symptomatic fibroids.” Clinical Radiology 66.1 (2011): 57–62.
- Naguib, N.N., Nour-Eldin, N.-E.A., Serag-Eldin, F., et al. “Role of uterine artery Doppler in the management of uterine leiomyoma by arterial embolization.” Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 40.4 (2012): 452–8.
- Schieda, N., Blaichman, J.I., Costa, A.F., et al. “Gadolinium-Based Contrast Agents in Kidney Disease: A Comprehensive Review and Clinical Practice Guideline Issued by the Canadian Association of Radiologists.” Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 69.2 (2018): 136–50.
- Scheurig-Muenkler, C., Lembcke, A., Froeling, V., et al. “Uterine artery embolization for symptomatic fibroids: long-term changes in disease-specific symptoms and quality of life.” Human Reproduction 26.8 (2011): 2036–42.
- Nocum, D.J., Robinson, J., Liang, E., et al. “The factors contributing to the total radiation exposure of patients during uterine artery embolisation.” Journal of Medical Radiation Sciences 66.3 (2019): 200–11.
- Gupta, J.K., Sinha, A., Lumsden, M.A., Hickey, M. “Uterine artery embolization for symptomatic uterine fibroids.” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (2014).
- Sadick, M., Richers, J., Tuschy, B., et al. “Feasibility of quantitative MR-perfusion imaging to monitor treatment response after uterine artery embolization (UAE) in symptomatic uterus fibroids.” Magnetic Resonance Imaging 59 (2019): 31–8.
- Worthington-Kirsch, R.L., Andrews, R.T., Siskin, G.P., et al. “Uterine fibroid embolization: Technical aspects.” Techniques in Vascular and Interventional Radiology 5.1 (2002): 17–34.
- Kim, M.D., Lee, M., Lee, M.S., et al. “Uterine artery embolization of large fibroids: comparative study of procedure with and without pretreatment gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists.” American Journal of Roentgenology 199.2 (2012): 441–6.
- Di Stasi, C., Cina, A., Rosella, F., et al. “Uterine fibroid embolization efficacy and safety: 15 years experience in an elevated turnout rate center.” La Radiologia Medica 123.5 (2018): 385–97.
- Li, H., Yang, C., Yeh, L., et al. “Periprocedural medications for post-embolization pain control in women with uterine fibroids or adenomyosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.” E-Da Medical Journal 6.3 (2018): 23–33.
- Kim, C.-W., Shim, H.S., Jang, H., Song, Y.G. “The effects of uterine artery embolization on ovarian reserve.” European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 206 (2016): 172–6.
- Arthur, R., Kachura, J., Liu, G., et al. “Laparoscopic myomectomy versus uterine artery embolization: long-term impact on markers of ovarian reserve.” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada 36.3 (2014): 240–7.
- Graif, A., Leung, D.A., McKenna, G., et al. “Evaluation of the effect of routine antibiotic administration after uterine artery embolization on infection rates.” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 31.8 (2020): 1263–9.
- Homer, H., Saridogan, E. “Uterine artery embolization for fibroids is associated with an increased risk of miscarriage.” Fertility and Sterility 94.1 (2010): 324–30.
- Freed, M., Spies, J. “Uterine artery embolization for fibroids: a review of current outcomes.” Seminars in Reproductive Medicine 28.03 (2010): 235–41.
- Tsikouras, P., Manav, B., Koukouli, Z., et al. “Ovarian reserve after fibroid embolization in premenopausal women.” Minimally Invasive Therapy & Allied Technologies 26.5 (2017): 284–91.
- McLucas, B., Voorhees, W.D., Snyder, S.A. “Anti-Müllerian hormone levels before and after uterine artery embolization.” Minimally Invasive Therapy & Allied Technologies 27.3 (2017): 186–90.
- McLucas, B. “Pregnancy following uterine artery embolization: an update.” Minimally Invasive Therapy & Allied Technologies 22.1 (2012): 39–44.
- Kaump, G.R., Spies, J.B. “The impact of uterine artery embolization on ovarian function.” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 24.4 (2013): 459–67.
- McLucas, B., Danzer, H., Wambach, C. “O443 ovarian function of women of reproductive age following uterine artery embolization.” International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics 119 (2012).
- Tropeano, G., Romano, D., Mascilini, F., et al. “Is myomectomy always the best choice for infertile women with symptomatic uterine fibroids?” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research 38.4 (2012): 733–6.
- Torre, A., Fauconnier, A., Kahn, V., et al. “Fertility after uterine artery embolization for symptomatic multiple fibroids with no other infertility factors.” European Radiology 27.7 (2016): 2850–9.
- Kim, A., Arabkhazaeli, M., Ulrich, A., et al. “Updates in uterine artery embolization for leiomyomas.” Current Opinion in Obstetrics & Gynecology 32.4 (2020): 269–76.
- El Shamy, T., Amer, S.A., Mohamed, A.A., et al. “The impact of uterine artery embolization on ovarian reserve: a systematic review and meta-analysis.” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica 99.1 (2019): 16–23.
- Ghanaati, H., Sanaati, M., Shakiba, M., et al. “Pregnancy and its outcomes in patients after uterine fibroid embolization: a systematic review and meta-analysis.” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology 43.8 (2020): 1122–33.
- Takahashi, H., Hayashi, S., Matsuoka, K., Kitagawa, M. “Placenta accreta following uterine artery embolization.” Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 49.2 (2010): 197–8.
- Vidal, L., Michel, M.-E., Gavillon, N., et al. “Un cas de rupture utérine sur placenta invasif compliquant une grossesse après embolisation des artères utérines pour fibromes.” Journal de Gynécologie Obstétrique et Biologie de la Reproduction 37.8 (2008): 811–4.
- Redecha, M., Mižičková, M., Javorka, V., et al. “Pregnancy after uterine artery embolization for the treatment of myomas: a case series.” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics 287.1 (2012): 71–6.
- Leibsohn, S., D'Ablaing, G., Mishell, D.R., Schlaerth, J.B. “Leiomyosarcoma in a series of hysterectomies performed for presumed uterine leiomyomas.” International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics 34.2 (1991): 193.
- Chu, E.C., Santos, E., McCluskey, K. “Incidentally discovered uterine sarcoma in a premenopausal patient after hysterectomy for postembolization endometritis”. CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology 37.3 (2013): 839–42.
- Williams, A.R.W. “Uterine fibroids – what’s new?” F1000Research 6 (2017): 2109.
- Ricci, S., Stone, R.L., Fader, A.N. “Uterine leiomyosarcoma: epidemiology, contemporary treatment strategies and the impact of uterine morcellation.” Gynecologic Oncology 145.1 (2017): 208–16.
- Tsuji, M., Kihara, T., Hushimi, S., et al. “Diagnosis of leiomyosarcoma after uterine artery embolization for multiple leiomyomas.” Case Reports in Obstetrics and Gynecology 2020 (2020): 1–4.
- Katsumori, T., Nakajima, K., Mihara, T. “Is a large fibroid a high-risk factor for uterine artery embolization?” American Journal of Roentgenology 181.5 (2003): 1309–14.
- Sasa, H., Kaji, T., Furuya, K. “Indications and outcomes of uterine artery embolization in patients with uterine leiomyomas.” Obstetrics and Gynecology International (2012): 1–3.
- Spies, J.B., Spector, A., Roth, A.R., et al. “Complications after uterine artery embolization for leiomyomas.” Obstetrics & Gynecology 100 (2002): 873–80.
- Bérczi, V., Valcseva, É., Kozics, D., et al. “Safety and effectiveness of UFE in fibroids larger than 10 cm.” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology 38.5 (2015): 1152–6.
- Smeets, A.J., Nijenhuis, R.J., van Rooij, W.J., et al. “Uterine artery embolization in patients with a large fibroid burden: long-term clinical and MR follow-up.” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology 33.5 (2010): 943–8.
- Choi, H.J., Jeon, G.S., Kim, M.D., et al. “Is uterine artery embolization for patients with large myomas safe and effective? A retrospective comparative study in 323 patients.” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 24.6 (2013): 772–8.
- Parthipun, A.A., Taylor, J., Manyonda, I., Belli, A.M. “Does size really matter? Analysis of the effect of large fibroids and uterine volumes on complication rates of uterine artery embolisation.” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology 33.5 (2010): 955–9.
- Silberzweig, J.E., Powell, D.K., Matsumoto, A.H., Spies, J.B. “Management of uterine fibroids: a focus on uterine-sparing interventional techniques.” Radiology 280.3 (2016): 675–92.
- Llewellyn, O., Patel, N.R., Mallon, D., et al. “Uterine Artery Embolisation for Women with Giant Versus Non-Giant Uterine Fibroids: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology 43.5 (2019): 684–93.
- de Bruijn, A.M., Adriaansens, S-O. J.H., Smink, M., et al. “Uterine Artery Embolization in Women with Symptomatic Cervical Leiomyomata: Efficacy and Safety.” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology 42.3 (2018): 371–80.
- Chua, K.J., McLucas, B. “Pain after uterine artery embolization with intrauterine device in situ.” BJR|case reports 6.3 (2020): 20190128.
- Verma, S.K., Gonsalves, C.F., Baltarowich, O.H., et al. “Spectrum of imaging findings on MRI and CT after uterine artery embolization.” Abdominal Imaging 35.1 (2008): 118–28.
- Salehi, M., Jalilian, N., Salehi, A., Ayazi, M. “Clinical Efficacy and Complications of Uterine Artery Embolization in Symptomatic Uterine Fibroids.” Global Journal of Health Science 8.7 (2015): 245.
- Schnapauff, D., Russ, M., Kröncke, T., David, M. “Analysis of presurgical uterine artery embolization (PUAE) for very large uterus myomatosus; patient’s desire to preserve the uterus; case series and literature review.” RöFo 190.07 (2018): 616–22.
- Horhoianu, I., Horhoianu, V., Joita, D., et al. “Uterine artery embolization for leioyomas, ultrasonography and angiography aspects.” Journal of medicine and life. U.S. National Library of Medicine 2012 [cited 2021 Aug 12]. Available from: [https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23346257/].
- Jang, D., Kim, M.D., Lee, S.J., et al. “The effect of uterine artery embolization on premenstrual symptoms in patients with symptomatic fibroids or adenomyosis.” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 25.6 (2014).
- Voogt, M.J., De Vries, J., Fonteijn, W., et al. “Sexual functioning and psychological well-being after uterine artery embolization in women with symptomatic uterine fibroids.” Fertility and Sterility 92.2 (2009): 756–61.
- Smith, W., Upton, E., Shuster, E., et al. “Patient satisfaction and disease specific quality of life after uterine artery embolization.” American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. U.S. National Library of Medicine 2004 [cited 2021 Aug 12]. Available from: [https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15284774/].
- Hehenkamp, W.J., Volkers, N.A., Bartholomeus, W., et al. “Sexuality and body image after uterine artery embolization and hysterectomy in the treatment of uterine fibroids: a randomized comparison.” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology 30.5 (2007): 866–75.
- Caridi, T.M., Spies, J.B., Kohi, M.P. “Myomectomy versus Uterine Artery Embolization: More Alike than Different.” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 31.11 (2020): 1838–9.
- Marshall, S. “Interventional radiologists protest “unethical” number of surgeries in France.” Interventional News 2020 [cited 2021Aug12]. Available from: [https://interventionalnews.com/embolization-number-france/].
- Ortenzia, O., Trojani, V., Bertolini, M., et al. “Radiation dose reduction and static image quality assessment using a channelized hotelling observer on an angiography system upgraded with clarity IQ.” Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express 6.2 (2020): 025008.
- Yu, S.C.H., Lok, I., Ho, S.S.Y., et al. “Comparison of clinical outcomes of tris-acryl microspheres versus polyvinyl alcohol microspheres for uterine artery embolization for leiomyomas: results of a randomized trial.” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology 22.9 (2011): 1229–35.
- Jiang, W., Shen, Z., Luo, H., et al. “Comparison of polyvinyl alcohol and tris-acryl gelatin microsphere materials in embolization for symptomatic leiomyomas: a systematic review.” Minimally Invasive Therapy & Allied Technologies 25.6 (2016): 289–300.
- Marret, H., Fritel, X., Ouldamer, L., et al. “Therapeutic management of uterine fibroid tumors: updated French guidelines.” European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 165.2 (2012): 156–64.
- Lupattelli, T., Basile, A., Garaci, F.G., Simonetti, G. “Percutaneous uterine artery embolization for the treatment of symptomatic fibroids: current status.” European Journal of Radiology 54.1 (2005): 136–47.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 К.Д. Плаксієва, Н.В. Косей, Т.Ф. Татарчук, О.А. Власенко, В.С. Сольський
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.