The effect of preparatory therapy with myo-inositol on the outcome of infertility treatment by ART in men with low reproductive function
Keywords:male infertility, myo-inositol, in vitro fertilization, assisted reproductive technologies, frequency of blastocyst formation
Research objective: to study the effect of myo-inositol (MI), folic acid (FA) and cyanocobalamin in mono- and complex therapy on the classical fertility rates and the level of DNA fragmentation in sperm in men with low reproductive function, and on the results of the in vitro fertilization (IVF) programs performed in these patients.
Materials and methods. A retrospective study of 133 patients aged 32 to 40 years was carried out for the period 2020–2021. All patients were divided into three groups: group 1 – 44 men who took MI, FA and cyanocobalamin daily as monotherapy for 3 months; group 2 – 42 patients who followed a diet to improve spermatogenesis for 3 months; group 3 – 47 men, for whom complex therapy was applied for 3 months: MI, FA, cyanocobalamin and diet.
Results. The increase of sperm concentration in ejaculate, improvement of progressively motility of spermatozoa, and increase of the percent of spermatozoa with normal morphology in men with failures of reproductive function after the complex preparatory therapy are defined. The preparatory therapy for men with MI in preparation for IVF helps to improve the quality of embryos and increase the pregnancy rates in couples with male infertility due to the assisted reproductive technologies. The positive effect of preparatory complex therapy in patients with poor spermatogenesis on the blastocyst formation rates in IVF programs is shown.
Conclusions. The positive effect of MI on the normal functioning of the reproductive system in men has been proven. The increase pregnancy rates in the IVF program after preparatory treatment of men with MI can be explained by its positive effect on reducing the level of DNA fragmentation of sperm.
- Kumar, N., Singh, A.K. “Trends of male factor infertility, an important cause of infertility: A review of literature.” J Hum Reprod Sci 8.4 (2015): 191–6. DOI: 10.4103/0974-1208.170370
- Virtanen, H.E., Sadov, S., Vierula, M., et. al. “Finland is following the trend-sperm quality in Finnish men.” Asian J Androl 15.2 (2013): 162–4. DOI: 10.1038/aja.2012.142
- Zheng, J.F., Chen, X.B., Zhao, L.W., et al. “ICSI treatment of severe male infertility can achieve prospective embryo quality compared with IVF of fertile donor sperm on sibling oocytes.” Asian J Androl 17 (2015): 845–9. DOI: 10.4103/1008-682X.146971
- Boushaba, S., Belaaloui, G. “Sperm DNA fragmentation and standard semen parameters in Algerian infertile male partners.” World J Mens Health 33.1 (2015): 1–7. DOI: 10.5534/wjmh.2015.33.1.1
- Song, J., Duan, C., Cai, W., Xu, J. “Predictive value of the number of frozen blastocysts in live birth rates of the transferred fresh embryos.” J Ovarian Res 14.1 (2021): 83. DOI: 10.1186/s13048-021-00838-5
- Chapuis, A., Gala, A., Ferrières-Hoa, A., et al. “Sperm quality and paternal age: effect on blastocyst formation and pregnancy rates.” Basic Clin Androl 27 (2017): 2. DOI: 10.1186/s12610-016-0045-4
- French, D.B., Sabanegh, E.S., Goldfarb, J., et al. “Does severe teratozoospermia affect blastocyst formation, live birth rate, and other clinical outcome parameters in ICSI cycles?” Fertil Steril 93.4 (2010): 1097–103. DOI: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.10.051
- Montanino Oliva, M., Minutolo, E., Lippa, A., et al. “Effect of Myoinositol and Antioxidants on Sperm Quality in Men with Metabolic Syndrome.” Int J Endocrinol (2016): 1674950. DOI 10.1155/2016/1674950
- Condorelli, R.A., La Vignera, S., Di Bari, F., et al. “Effects of myoinositol on sperm mitochondrial function in- vitro.” Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 15.2 (2011): 129–34.
- World Health Organization. WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen. World Health Organization. 5th ed. Geneva (2010): 286 p.
- Sá, R., Sousa, M. “Sperm aneuploidy and DNA integrity: a review” EMJ Reprod Health 1.1 (2015): 65–73.
- García-Ferreyra, J. “High levels of DNA fragmentation observed in an infertile population attending a fertility center are related to advanced paternal age.” JFIV Reprod Med Genet 2.5 (2012): 1000113. DOI: 10.4172/2165-7491.1000113
- Winkle, T. “The correlation between male age, sperm quality and sperm DNA fragmentation in 320 men attending a fertility center.” J Assist Reprod Genet 26.1 (2009): 41–6. DOI: 10.1007/s10815-008-9277-3
- Nijs, M. “Correlation between male age, WHO sperm parameters, DNA fragmentation, chromatin packaging and outcome in assisted reproduction technology.” Andrologia 43.3 (2011): 174–9. DOI: 10.1111/j.1439-0272.2010.01040.x
- Pacchiarotti, A., Selman, H., Valeri, C., et al. “Ovarian Stimulation Protocol in IVF: An Up-to-Date Review of the Literature.” Curr Pharm Biotechnol 17.4 (2016): 303–15. DOI: 10.2174/1389201017666160118103147
- Riffenburgh, R. Statistics in Medicine. 3rd Edition. Imprint: Academic Press (2012): 744 p. eBook ISBN: 9780123848659.
- Gardner, D.K., Balaban, B. “Assessment of human embryo development using morphological criteria in an era of time-lapse, algorithms and ‘OMICS’: is looking good still important?” Mol Hum Reprod 22.10 (2016): 704–18. DOI: 10.1093/molehr/gaw057
- Simon, L.I. “Sperm DNA damage has negative association with live birth rates after IVF.” Reprod Biomed Online 26.1 (2013): 68–78. DOI: 10.1016/j.rbmo.2012.09.019
- Kim, G.Y. “What should be done for men with sperm DNA fragmentation?” Clin Exp Reprod Med 45.3 (2018): 101–9. DOI: 10.5653/cerm.2018.45.3.101
- Chen, L., Fang, J., Jiang, W., et al. “Effects of the sperm DNA fragmentation index on the clinical and neonatal outcomes of intracytoplasmic sperm injection cycles.” J Ovarian Res 13.1 (2020): 52. DOI: 10.1186/s13048-020-00658-z
- Meseguer, M. “Effect of sperm DNA fragmentation on pregnancy outcome depends on oocyte quality.” Fertil Steril 95.1 (2011): 124–8. DOI: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2010.05.055
- Sharbatoghli, M. “Relationship of sperm DNA fragmentation, apoptosis and dysfunction of mitochondrial membrane potential with semen parameters and ART outcome after intracytoplasmic sperm injection.” Arch Gynecol Obstet 286.5 (2012): 1315–22. DOI: 10.1007/s00404-012-2440-1
- López, G. “Diagnostic value of sperm DNA fragmentation and sperm high-magnification for predicting outcome of assisted reproduction treatment.” J Androl 15.6 (2013): 790–4. DOI: 10.1038/aja.2013.81
- Speyer, B.E. “Fall in implantation rates following ICSI with sperm with high DNA fragmentation.” Hum Reprod 25.7 (2012): 1609–18. DOI: 10.1093/humrep/deq116
- Osman, A. “The effect of sperm DNA fragmentation on live birth rate after IVF or ICSI: a systematic review and meta-analysis.” Reprod Biomed Online 30.2 (2015): 120–7. DOI: 10.1016/j.rbmo.2014.10.018
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 О.М. Феськов, Є.С. Жилкова, Г.В. Нестерук, І.К. Осовський, А.О. Феськова
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.